I. GENERAL STATEMENT
Region 9 or popularly known as Zamboanga Peninsula consist of one (1) District (Zamboanga City Fire District) and three (3) Provinces (Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur and Zamboanga Sibugay). It has five (5) component cities (Dipolog, Dapitan, Pagadian, Isabela and Zamboanga City) and sixty seven (67) municipalities. It has a total population of 3,547, 096.
The Bureau of Fire Protection Region 9 presently has a total of forty three (43) fire stations in the region and manned with a total of manpower complement of eight hundred forty (840) officers and personnels.
BFP R9 operates thirty one (31) cities and municipalities throughout the region with a total of forty four (44) operational fire stations (sub-stations included)
MANDATES AND FUNCTION
The Bureau of Fire Protection was created by virtue of RA 6975 primarily to perform the following functions:
- Be responsible for the Prevention and Suppression of All Destructive Fires on:building, houses and other structures; forest; land transportation vehicles and equipment; ships and vessels dock at piers or wharves anchored in major sea ports; petroleum industry installations; plane crashes and other similar activities
- Be responsible of the enforcement of Fire Code of the Philippines (PD 1185) and other related laws.
- Shall have the power to investigate all causes of fires and if necessary, file the proper complaint with the city or provincial prosecutor who has jurisdiction over the case.
- In the time of national emergency, all elements of the BFP shall upon direction of the President assist the AFP in the meeting the national emergency and
- Shall establish at least one (1) fire station with adequate personnel firefighting facilities and equipment in every provincial capital city and municipality subject to the standards rules and and regulations as maybe promulgated by the DILG.